Reading habits tag

Reading habits
I’ve been inspired to do this tag after reading @Bill_Khaemba do it on his blog page.

Do you have a certain place at home for reading?
Either on my couch or in my bed, although I’m not that particular and I will read anywhere, anytime I get the chance.

Bookmark or random piece of paper?
Bookmark. I have amassed a wee collection although I have resorted to using rail tickets in times of desperation.

Can you just stop reading or do you have to stop after a chapter / certain number of pages?
I can stop reading mid-sen…

Do you eat or drink whilst reading?
I try not to eat whilst reading as I end up just pigging out. I do like to have a drink with me though, preferably orange juice or irn bru.

Multi-tasking: Music or TV while reading?
No. Complete stone-cold silence for me, thanks.

One book at a time or several at once?
I never read just one book at a time. I find that the more books you read, the more time you will dedicate to reading. The magic number for me these days is four:
  • One book that I want to do a full review for (usually reserved for the books I really, really want to read).
  • One audiobook. I find that thrillers or mysteries lend themselves to audiobooks well.
  • One re-read or funny book. This is where I’ll have something that I can read through that doesn’t require as much attention. So if my serious book feels like too much after a hard day’s work, I’ll either read something I’ve read before, or something light and comical.
  • One book of poems. These usually take me a while to get through but they are great when I have five minutes or want to read something just before bedtime.
Reading at home or elsewhere?
I read everywhere I get the chance. My usual routine is:
  • Get up
  • Shower
  • Stick my audiobook on whilst getting ready for work
  • Listen to my audiobook on the drive to the train station
  • Read an ebook or paperback on the train to Edinburgh
  • Listen to my audiobook on short walk from train station to work
  • Work
  • Listen to my audiobook on short walk from work to train station
  • Read an ebook or paperback on the train to Kirkcaldy
  • Listen to my audiobook on the drive home
  • Do housework (whilst listening to audiobook)
  • Make dinner (whilst listening to audiobook)
  • Spend time with family
  • [If I have time for a cycle I’ll do that whilst listening to an audiobook]
  • Read on the couch or in bed
  • Sleep, repeat

Weekends are dedicated to reading also if I don’t have much on.

Reading out loud or silently in your head?
Silently in my head…I hope.

Do you read ahead or even skip pages?
Never. It’s hard not to jump to the last sentence in the book but I’ve managed to train myself to stop doing that. If that fails, I will place my bookmark over the last paragraph to avoid temptation.

Breaking the spine or keeping it like new?
Break it!

Do you write in your books?
Yes, although I do feel bad doing it. Although I do enjoy finding someone else’s notes within books I pick up from the charity shop.
SHARE

ConstantReader

0 comments:

Post a Comment